Adventures in Aarhus

This is a blog to capture the adventures of Ken, Leysia, Max and Lilja while spending their first sabbatical in Aarhus, Denmark.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Too Many Books, Not Enough Time

So, I've been faithfully recording the books I've been reading recently (see Postscript for additional details) and was actually starting to feel like I was getting ahead, when I stumbled across The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton which just came out in the U.S. (Europeans get access to Hamilton's stuff before us Yanks.)

So I bought it immediately, of course, and have added it to the stack. Hamilton is simply one of those authors where I buy his stuff the moment I see it. He writes epic space opera while also providing lots of depth to his characters. His book, Pandora's Star, which is one I read while on sabbatical in Denmark, has one of the best introductions to an alien lifeform (written from the perspective of the alien) that I've encountered in science fiction. It also has one of the best "first contact" scenes as well. (This particular alien is ruthless, and it does not go well for the humans involved.)

Anyway, I'm only 41 pages into Matter by Iain M. Banks and it has 565 pages, so Hamilton will have to wait.

Sigh, I really need to figure out a way to become independent wealthy, there are simply too many good books to read and not enough time.

Ken

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I also read to Max and Lilja each night, and with the two of them I've recently finished all seven of the Bone graphic novels (Lilja loves them and can't wait for book 8 to be released!) and Max and I are currently reading the Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman having just finished book two of that series, the Subtle Knife. Its a really cool series and Max loves the main character, Lyra Silvertongue, and her companions, Will, Serafina, and Iorek. Loving books so much myself, its great to see this same interest taking hold in my kids!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home