Adventures in Aarhus

This is a blog to capture the adventures of Ken, Leysia, Max and Lilja while spending their first sabbatical in Aarhus, Denmark.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Making Money

Making Money is the name of Terry Pratchett's most recent book in his voluminous Diskworld series. (This series contains 36 books and I've read pretty much all of them!)

It was the book I turned my attention to after finishing my decade and a half love affair with the Sword of Truth series and I'm already done.

Making Money was in a word: superb. The scenes with Lord Vetinari are simply priceless! Pratchett has that particular character down to a T. Its pure pleasure to read those scenes!

Most people on hearing that the Diskworld series has 36 books in it (with two more to come out soon) say "Well it must not be that good now, right?" And, in this case, they are wrong. The books in the series have, in my opinion, been better and better with Practchett becoming a demonstrably better writer in recent years. He's got better jokes, better stores, more detailed characters, the works!

The tragedy here is that Pratchett recently announced that he has been diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's disease but bravely states that he's good for a few more books! All good things come to end, but I intend to enjoy every last thing Pratchett produces before he has to stop. He's been a good force in my life, providing me with a ton of laughter over the years, and that's a very important thing!

So, what do you do after you finish a good book? Read another one! Next Up: Matter by Iain M. Banks.

Ken

P.S. My favorite book of the whole Diskworld series is book 26, Thief of Time, but don't start with that one. Its best if you start at the beginning and work your way up to it! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home