Adventures in Aarhus

This is a blog to capture the adventures of Ken, Leysia, Max and Lilja while spending their first sabbatical in Aarhus, Denmark.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Apple's Design Team Stumbles

Our lab has an ancient Apple monitor (remember the cinema displays?) that we'd like to use with our more recent Apple laptops. I learned recently that the cinema displays used a connector technology called ADC. The machine in the lab that we want to connect to this monitor uses a connector technology called DVI. To get the two connected, you have to buy (not surprisingly) an ADC to DVI adaptor which Apple helpfully sells on-line.



It arrived last night and so I came into the lab this morning to install it. I had to admit to being surprised at how big the box was, as I'm use to the small size of the DVI to SVGA adaptors that are found strewn through the workplace of Mac users everywhere.



Well, I can't claim to understand the engineering constraints that Apple was facing when making this product but this adaptor is HUGE. Staggeringly HUGE. I mean big. Here's a picture:



Huge Adaptor: Apple's ADC to DVI



I put the adaptor next to my 17" Macbook Pro and a scissors to give it some context. It may not look that big in this picture but its huge in person. I mean its much bigger than an iPhone and gives the impression that it could be the latest rev of the Mac mini! :-)



Enjoy,



Ken


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home