Adventures in Aarhus

This is a blog to capture the adventures of Ken, Leysia, Max and Lilja while spending their first sabbatical in Aarhus, Denmark.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Time Machine to the Rescue!

Yesterday (Thursday), at roughly 9 AM, the hard drive in my laptop crashed hard. To the point that the disk was no longer able to boot the machine! :-(

Fortunately, at 4:15 PM on Wednesday, I had made a back up of my machine using Apple's Time Machine that is found in Mac OS X Leopard.

I had only ever STORED data using Time Machine, I had never RESTORED data with it, so I was a bit anxious as I prepared to create a new copy of my working environment using the Time Machine back-up.

I had to connect a new FireWire disk to my iMac as well as the Time Machine disk and then boot the iMac using the Leopard install disk. Then I invoked the "Restore Time Machine back up to System" command which after 2.5 hours managed to create a new bootable copy of my working environment.

As of 12:52 AM today, I'm back in action!

Ken

P.S. My laptop is at the Apple Store waiting for a new hard drive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home