Adventures in Aarhus

This is a blog to capture the adventures of Ken, Leysia, Max and Lilja while spending their first sabbatical in Aarhus, Denmark.

Friday, September 09, 2005

The Pleasure of Assumptions

Quick post to document an unexpected (yet unsurprising) consequence of finally being able to use our shiny new Visa Dankorts or as we would call them in the US our "debit cards".

I finally was in the position of being able to withdraw cash from our bank account here in Denmark. We got our first paycheck this past Monday and until today I had been withdrawing money from our bank account in the US to live on. When I insert my US debit card into an ATM machine it kindly asks what language I want to use for the transaction and I, of course, select English, so I don't make any mistakes.

Well, all that goes away when I insert my Visa Dankort! Since I have a Visa Dankort, I must be Danish, and since I'm Danish, I know how to speak the language, and since I know how to speak the language, the ATM doesn't need to bother asking me what language I speak!

Ah, the pleasure that comes from not being applicable to someone's assumptions!

Ken

P.S. I was able to withdraw money just fine, but I noticed that the interface options were slightly different than the ones I was used to when using the English user interface. Interesting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home