Adventures in Aarhus

This is a blog to capture the adventures of Ken, Leysia, Max and Lilja while spending their first sabbatical in Aarhus, Denmark.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Gas Stations

One of the interesting things about international travel is that you get to learn that the many things that you consider "normal" are instead "cultural" and subject to (extreme) change. And, while you are dealing with this change, you are surrounded by people (natives) who view all the strange things surrounding you as "normal". The next time you hear someone say "That's the way things ought to be." mentally add "given the social and cultural baggage that has contributed to MY definition of 'normal'." to that phrase.

Anyway, all of this is leading up to a discussion of a gas station that lies close to IT-Parken ("The Information Technology Park") where we work. We've encountered the whole range of gas station types here in Aarhus, from the its-so-old-fashioned-that-its-not-even-quaint "pay-the-cashier-before-you-pump" type gas station to the "pay-at-the-pump" type gas station that is common across most of the U.S. This gas station is a new (to me) type, namely, "pay-near-the-pump". This is a small gas station with three pumps. There is a console located near the pumps that is used before you pump gasoline into your car. You insert your debit card into the console, and enter your pin code. You are then asked to select the pump that you would like to use. (I'm not sure what happens if you select a pump that is currently in use, as I've only been there when I'm the only customer present.) This activates the pump and you go pump your gas. If you don't want a receipt, you're done and you can drive off. Otherwise, you return to the console and insert your debit card one more time and it prints your receipt. (It knows which receipt to print, since you had previously inserted your card to start this whole process.)

Anyway, I always feel just a little bit shifted from "normal" when I drive away from this gas station, because I've not encountered anything like this back in the states, and you wind up saying to yourself "Even pumping gas is different!"

Of course, I've been talking about how these differences can make you feel a bit off kilter, but its also refreshing to see all the variation that's possible in this life and it makes you view what you consider "normal" in a different light, realizing now that its just the result of largely cultural decisions that could be changed if needed.

Okay, time to squeeze in a bit of work before I go to my weekly Danish class. Min evne til at læse og skrive dansk er gradvis forbedret! ("My ability to read and write Danish is gradually improving!")

Ken

Update from Yesterday's Post: I almost ran into a cyclist today. :-( He was in my blind spot and I didn't see him until just at the last moment. I slammed on my brakes and came within inches, excuse me, centimeters of hitting him. What did I get for my trouble? Not even an acknowledgment! The cyclist went by without even looking at me! Sigh.

1 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Peyman said...

I couldn't agree more.

BTW, Arco in the U.S. works the same way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home